Melt in your mouth slow baked white beans are seasoned with ham and bacon. Not too much broth, but just enough to keep you wanting bowl after bowl. You will love these brothy baked white beans enough to put it on the menu every week. This is the most budget friendly dinner we know.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated when you purchase through these links, at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Baked White Beans With Ham
This is not a white bean soup. Sometimes, soups can be a little soupy for me, to much broth..not enough things. This is brothy but in the best possible way. Loads of beans in just the right amount of broth. I used prepared diced ham from the grocery store and let me tell you something: it was easy. I’ve told you lately I’m into that easy dinner life.
I realize it’s summer, and are we really eating soup beans in June? Yes. I usually reserve soupy, brothy, bean recipes for fall and winter but if it’s raining, cloudy, riot-y, pandemic-y…any day is fair game for a big ol’ bowl of beans. These are feel good beans, grounding beans, the coziest beans.
The kind of brothy beans you soak up with that whole wheat bread you made in the bread machine yesterday. Also noteable is the fact that I didn’t use pinto beans. White beans are a little lighter in flavor, texture, and broth-ability. I would definitely save the pintos for winter.
HOW TO MAKE THIS MEAL FOR LESS THAN $5.75
- White beans are so cheap, you probably already have them in your pantry right now ($.95 based on $1.42 for 1 pound- 3 cups).
- Diced ham, also cheap, comes in 8oz packages at the grocery store ($2.08)
- Onions are the most basic ingredient and add the most flavor ($.70)
- Bacon is great for more than just breakfast on the weekend ($.52 based on one package/ 20 slices)
- Butter: Probably most people have butter already in the frig ($.26)
- Chicken broth ($1.22) is easy to make free using chicken bones and leftover vegetable tops (subtract $1.22) and this meal is $4.53
*prices based on Walmart app and Great Value brand products
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED FOR AMAZING WHITE BEANS?
- White Beans: I used canellini beans, you can substitute navy beans if needed. If it’s a chilly month, you can substitute heavier pinto beans.
- Bacon: Only two slices, rendered, so yum.
- Diced Ham: Prepackaged diced ham, I used John Morrell brand, nothing fancy.
- Onion: 1 onion, diced finely, all the flavor.
- Butter: Butttttahhhhh
- Broth: Homemade chicken broth or boxed, use what you have.
- Salt: My flavor bae.
HOW DO YOU MAKE MELT IN YOUR MOUTH WHITE BEANS?
THIS GOES GREAT WITH:
- Whole Wheat Bread (Bread Machine)
- Farmhouse Yeast Rolls
- Easy Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet
- Asiago Roasted Asparagus
Hey- you’ve made it this far, and now we’re BFF’s. If you make this recipe, I would love for you to give it a star rating below (scroll to the comments). Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!Print
You will love these brothy baked white beans enough to put it on the menu every week. This is the most budget friendly dinner we know.
2 cups dry white beans (any variety)
2 slices smoked bacon
8 oz prepared diced ham
1 medium yellow onion, diced
4 Tbsp butter
5 cups chicken broth
1 tsp salt
- Place beans in a large bowl, cover with water and soak 14 hours changing water once*
- Preheat oven to 340°
- In a heavy bottom pot such as a dutch oven, render 2 pieces of bacon, set bacon aside for another use.
- Saute diced ham and onion in bacon drippings until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes
- Stir in butter
- Drain beans and add to pot, covering in chicken broth
- Stir to combine
- Bake 2 hours
I usually start the beans late in the afternoon, change the water before bed, and bake them the next day mid-morning.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: white beans, baked beans, white beans with ham, baked white beans, white beans recipe, how to cook white beans, italian white beans, how long to cook white beans, bean and ham soup, ham and beans