Juicy chicken sausages set on top of caramelized onions and freshly wilted spinach gets topped with parmesan and mozzarella and baked to a crunchy perfection. Throw on fresh diced tomatoes, parsley, and the BEST tangy mayo. These chicken sausage hoagies are the perfect lunch!
This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated when you purchase through these links, at no cost to you.
Chicken Sausage Hoagies
The trouble with writing this post at lunch time is that all I can think about is how to get my hands on more of these hoagie rolls. I have another pack of sausages ✔; I can whip up tangy mayo in 30 seconds ✔; I’ve got onions and spinach rolling around in the frig ✔. But not being able to run to the store during this pandemic (2 kids) is ruining my chicken sausage hoagie do-over dreams. But also, I’m rummaging the freezer for french bread…not giving up.
If you take away one thing from this recipe, please let it be the tangy mayo. Under 30 seconds, just whip it up in a bowl, you will now be putting tangy mayo on all the things. Regular sausage hoagies usually have onions and peppers, these hoagies have onions and spinach which really compliment the chicken.
I found chicken sausages at Lidl that already had spinach and feta in them, but you do you boo. That’s what we’re all doing right now, amiright? Finding what we have in the back of the freezer, grabbing what’s left in the meat department. Hoagies are forgiving, and as long as you stuff them up with onions and tangy mayo and cheese, it’s all good. Don’t forget to bake them though, baking = rolls that are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.
WHAT GOES IN THESE SAUSAGE HOAGIES?
- Hoagie Rolls: French bread works too.
- Tangy Mayo: Mayo + Apple Cider Vinegar + Garlic + Lime
- Chicken Sausages: Pre-made, get your favorite, it doesn’t even have to be chicken
- Spinach & Onions: Sautéed and so yum.
- Parmesan & Mozzarella: Sprinkled on the top, baked until melty
- Fresh Tomatoes and Parsley: Thrown on at the end; bright spot in all the melty-ness.
HOW DO YOU MAKE SAUSAGE HOAGIE SANDWICHES FOR LUNCH?
- Prep the tangy mayo. You want it to sit for awhile so those flavors get to know each other.
- Saute the spinach and onions.
- Start assembling the hoagie sandwiches. Step 1: slather it up with tangy mayo.
- Add spinach and onions.
- Sausage goes down.
- Nestle them into a baking dish and then sprinkle with parmesan and mozzarella.
- Bake and then top with fresh tomatoes, parsley, and more tangy mayo.
- Admire them.
- Eat them with waffle fries = requirement
THESE GO GREAT WITH:
- All the waffle fries money can buy but also:
- Mini Strawberry Jam Pies
- Instant Pot Panera 10 Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Panera Creamy Tomato Soup
- Garlic Blue Cheese Wedge Salad
Hey- you’ve made it this far, and now we’re BFF’s. If you make this recipe, I would love for you to give it a star rating below (scroll to the comments). Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!Print
4 Hoagie Rolls
4 chicken sausages
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, sliced
6 handfuls fresh spinach
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1 fresh tomato, diced
parsley for garnish
FOR THE TANGY MAYO:
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1 tsp minced garlic
3/4 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
juice of 1/2 lime
1/8 tsp salt
Stir together mayo, garlic, vinegar, lime, and salt; set aside
Preheat oven to 400°
Heat a skillet on medium heat, add olive oil and onions for 5 minutes or until tender and translucent
Add spinach a handful at a time and cook down, you may need to add a tablespoon of water here and there
Slice the hoagie rolls down the side being careful not to cut all the way through
Slather with tangy mayo, and layer on spinach & onion mixture, sausage, parmesan, and mozzarella evenly between all four sandwiches
Bake covered for 10 minutes, uncovered for 8 more minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: tangy mayo, spinach and onion, chicken sausage, hoagies, hoagie, sausage hoagies, hoagies in the oven, johnsonville chicken sausage recipes, chicken sausage recipes, chicken sausage recipes healthy,