Thick, cozy, spoon-coating potato soup is exactly what you need as the weather turns wet and cold this year. Bacon, carrots, onions, and celery (as one does) and russet potatoes are swirled up with broth and cream and then loaded with sharp white cheddar. This crockpot potato soup is a big huge hug-in-a-bowl and we all need it right now.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated when you purchase through these links, at no cost to you. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crockpot Potato Soup With White Cheddar
It took me two days to chase down this recipe for you. I have never made crockpot potato soup before. I'm not sure why except to say that we have some go-to favorites like that Instant Pot Panera 10 Vegetable Soup I make almost weekly in the cold months. I also admittedly don't cook much in the crockpot. I think that is because I'm so in love with that Instant Pot. So it took me two huge batches before I got it right, and on the second try, I got it so right.
I'm slowly coming back around to that crockpot life. There is something about slow cooking something all day that is the coziest thing to do when it starts getting cold. This crockpot potato soup is the coziest hug-bowl you will have.
It's thick, and in my mind thats what makes soup really satisfying. Right? It can be hard to thicken crockpot soups, but don't worry I totally have you covered here. The cream in this recipe makes it luscious, and the sharp white cheddar...gah.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED FOR CROCKPOT POTATO SOUP WITH WHITE CHEDDAR
- Bacon: You will quickly fry the bacon and then use the rendered fat to saute the veg.
- Onions & Garlic: So much flavor.
- Celery: Not traditional for potato soup, but really good.
- Carrots: Same.
- Potatoes: The star of the crockpot potato soup show (kind of...am I really here for the white cheddar?)
- Flour: Kind of a lot as soups go...but makes this soup nice and thick.
- Broth: You can use chicken broth or vegetable broth for a vegetarian option.
- Heavy Cream: Luscious.
- Sharp White Cheddar: Non-negotiable for me and adds to the thickness.
- Salt & Pepper: Flavortown.
HOW TO MAKE POTATO SOUP IN A SLOW COOKER
- Start this crockpot potato soup by frying the bacon in a heavy bottomed skillet like a cast iron skillet.
- Remove the bacon and saute the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic in the rendered bacon drippings. Season with salt and pepper (½ tsp salt + ½ tsp pepper)
- Add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic along with the potatoes to your crockpot.
- Sprinkle over flour, and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Stir in broth and add remaining salt and pepper (1 ½ tsp salt + ½ tsp pepper)
- Set crockpot on high and allow to cook, stirring occasionally for 4 hours.
- Turn crockpot off or to the warm setting and stir in cream and cheddar cheese.
- Serve with crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, and green onions.
FALL AND WINTER SOUP ESSENTIALS
CROCKPOT POTATO SOUP GOES GREAT WITH:
- Authentic Italian Focaccia Bread
- Free Chicken Broth
- Parmesan Truffle Tater Tots
- Parmesan Arugula Salad With Lemon Vinaigrette
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Crumb Bars
Hey- you’ve made it this far, and now we’re BFF’s. If you make this recipe, I would love for you to give it a star rating below (scroll to the comments). Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!Print
5 slices of bacon
5 celery stalks, diced
3 carrots, diced (optional)
2 medium yellow onions, diced
7 cloves of garlic, minced
4 Russet potatoes, diced
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
7 cups chicken or vegetable broth (I used chicken)
1 cup heavy cream
8oz sharp white cheddar, shredded
- Cook the bacon: Fry the bacon in a heavy bottomed skillet like a cast iron skillet.
- Saute vegetables: Remove the bacon and saute the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic in the rendered bacon drippings. Season with salt and pepper (½ tsp salt + ½ tsp pepper)
- Add to crockpot: Add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic along with the potatoes to your crockpot.
- Add flour: Sprinkle over flour, and stir to coat the vegetables.
- Stir in broth: Stir in broth and add remaining salt and pepper (1 ½ tsp salt + ½ tsp pepper)
- Set Crockpot: Set crockpot on high and allow to cook, stirring occasionally for 4 hours.
- Blend: Blend a small amount of soup with an immersion blender *
- Stir in dairy: Turn crockpot off or to the warm setting and stir in cream and cheddar cheese.
- Garnish: Serve with crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, and green onions.
* Stay to one side of the crockpot and blend a small amount of the soup with the immersion blender.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cook
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: crockpot loaded potato soup, crockpot soup ideas, loaded baked potato soup, loaded potato soup, slow cooker potato soup, crockpot soup recipes, slow cooker soup recipes, soup recipes for fall, carrot and potato soup, potato soup recipe simple, potato soup from scratch,