My vegan version is good as is, or you can easily make it a chicken tortilla soup!
2 onions, diced
1 small bulb of garlic (about 12 cloves of varying sizes), minced
15oz can of black beans
16oz jar of chunky salsa
12 oz bag of frozen corn
1 bell pepper, diced
5 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
6 corn tortillas, cut into small squares
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp dried cilantro
1 1/4 tsp salt
Juice of 2 limes
1 bunch of cilantro
1 jalapeno, sliced
Crispy tortilla strips**
- Instant Pot. Stirring often, for about 3-5 minutes. Cancel the Saute setting. : Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil using the Saute setting on the
- Combine: Combine beans, corn, pepper, salsa, chili powder, dried cilantro, broth, and tortillas in the Instant Pot with the onion mixture.
- Set: Close the lid of the Instant Pot and switch the toggle on top to sealing. Press Manual and set the time for 7 minutes (15 minutes if using chicken).
- Release: Once finished, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes and then release the remaining pressure by switching the toggle on top of the lid to venting*.
- Stir: Stir in fresh lime juice and chopped fresh cilantro.
- Serve: Garnish with extra lime, crispy tortilla strips** (see notes), cilantro, and sliced jalapeños.
* Use a long handled spoon or spatula to release pressure from the Instant Pot, keeping your hands away from the steam.
** How to make crispy tortilla strips at home: Rub both sides of 10 corn tortillas with olive oil (just a little), cut them into 1/4" strips with a sharp knife. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake at 400°F for 5 minutes, remove from oven and stir them around, place them back in the oven for 2-3 minutes, watching very closely.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mexican American
Keywords: instant pot tortilla soup, tortilla soup, vegan tortilla soup, tortilla soup dinner, dinner, chicken tortilla soup, tortilla soup instant pot, easy things to make for dinner, easy dinner ideas for family, healthy dinner ideas for family, what to make for dinner tonight, vegan, vegetarian, things to cook for dinner, vegan taco soup,