Flavor filled kale walnut pesto sauce that goes on just about anything. The perfect sauce for Sunday meal prep and cost conscious cooks. We are putting it in bread, slathering it on pasta, shrimp, and ricotta toast.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated when you purchase through these links, at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Kale And Walnut Pesto
If there ever was a time to bring out your food processor, this is it. You’re about to be a pesto boss. Pesto game = strong.
You need to go ahead and plan on making this when you meal prep on Sunday. Let it sit in the frig, and then let it save you on any given day when you have nothing to make…yet have answered “what’s for dinner” 57 (thousand) times. I also need you to know that my 8 year old ate it on everything and I didn’t have to threaten anything first. She didn’t know it was kale, I’m okay with that.
Kale & Walnut Pesto is one of the most versatile sauces:
- Layer chicken + pesto + mozzarella + sliced tomato = best dinner
- You choice of pasta + pesto + starchy pasta water
- Shrimp + pesto, sautéed
- Bread dough + pesto = pesto bread swirl
- Toast + ricotta + pesto = solid lunch
WHAT GOES IN KALE PESTO?
- Kale: You will need a big bunch of kale for this endeavor so order the big bag in your next grocery delivery.
- Walnuts: I love walnuts here because they are cheaper than pine nuts and more accessible every day.
- Parmesan Cheese: You can use whatever parm you have, dry grated, fresh grated, shredded; it’s up to you boo.
- Olive Oil: My love.
- Lemon: Follow the recipe, taste test, add more if you want.
- Garlic: Pulls it all together, also…garlic in everything…for life.
- Salt: Unless you have an issue, do not skip the salt.
- Sweetener: This is optional but hear me out: kale can be bitter, walnuts can be bitter, a little tiny bit of sweetener (whatever you want) it makes a little difference.
HOW TO MAKE KALE AND WALNUT PESTO
- Gather you ingredients: Kale, lemon, walnuts, olive oil, parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, sweetener of choice.
- Roast the walnuts: Throw them on a sheet pan, into the oven, 350° 6-8 minutes.
- Throw it all in a food processor: Blend it until as smooth as you can get it, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon it in your mouth: just joking…a little.
- Spoon it on your favorite foods: Scroll up for five meal ideas using this kale and walnut pesto recipe.
THIS GOES GREAT WITH:
- Magic Bullet Marinara Sauce
- Farmhouse Style Yeast Dinner Rolls
- Easy Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- Homemade Croutons
- Instant Pot White Beans In Marinara
Hey- you’ve made it this far, and now we’re BFF’s. If you make this recipe, I would love for you to give it a star rating below (scroll to the comments). Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!Print
Preheat oven to 350°
Arrange walnuts in single layer on a baking sheet
Roast for 6-8 minutes
Place all ingredients in a food processor
Process for at least 2 minutes, or until smooth
The lemon is to taste here. I like more lemon. Start with 1/2, taste, and adjust as needed.
- Category: Condiments
- Method: Food Processor
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: kale and walnut pesto, kale pesto, walnut pesto, how to make pesto with kale, can I make pesto with kale, kale pesto pasta