Sweet potato and whole wheat flour come together to make these nutty soft pillows of perfection. Sautéed, and finished with walnut oil; these sweet potato gnocchi are perfect on their own but stand up to creamy, cheesy, baking, with sauce.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated when you purchase through these links, at no cost to you.
Sweet Potato Gnocchi
Crispy sweet potato gnocchi is a game changer. Game changer. In the past, I haven’t loved homemade gnocchi because it gets a little gummy when you boil it. And then I figured out, I didn’t need to boil it…what. It is so much better when it is sautéed in oil and then given a little boost with water at the end.
This is easy enough to make for lunch. Yummy food for lunch= way to my heart. I was testing this recipe on my own and so I used 1/4 of the dough and added spinach and roasted walnut oil for a really simple finish. When I get a do-over I’m going to bake it with spinach, mushrooms, cream and mozzarella for the family.
What Goes In Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- Sweet Potato: You only need one sweet potato that is baked in the oven or the microwave.
- Whole wheat flour: Whole wheat flour gives this gnocchi a light nutty flavor.
- Egg: You will only need one egg, this helps the gnocchi puff up a little during cooking.
- Salt: The salt brings out all of the brilliant flavors of the sweet potato and nuttiness of the flour. I love natural sea salt for this.
How To Make Gnocchi
- First you will need to combine all the ingredients. I used my KitchenAid mixer because…zero energy these days. You can go the traditional route and just mix it straight on the counter top with your hands or with a hand mixer.
- Knead the dough for three minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 4 quarters and roll each into a long rope. Cut one inch pieces from the rope. You can also roll the gnocchi into the more traditional ridged version using a gnocchi board.
- Saute in batches with a tablespoon of oil (I used roasted walnut oil). Add 2 Tbsp water at the end. See recipe notes.
SERVE THIS SWEET POTATO GNOCCHI WITH:
- Magic Bullet Marinara
- Fennel Apple Salad With Orange Poppy Vinaigrette
- Asiago Roasted Asparagus
- Autumn Crunch Salad With Maple Apple Cider Vinaigrette
Pillowy gnocchi with sweet potato and whole wheat flour is really easy to make!
1 Sweet Potato
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp roasted walnut oil for sautéing
Preheat oven to 350°
Place potato directly on rack in oven
Bake 1 hour, allow to cool and remove skin
In a mixer or by hand, combine potato, flour, salt, and egg until a dough forms
Knead dough for 3-5 minutes or until smooth and elastic
Divide into four sections, roll each section into a long rope (about 14 inches)
Cut the rope every 1 inch
Working in four batches, heat oil in a skillet, saute about 5-8 minutes shaking the skillet or stirring to get even cooking on all sides
Slowly pour in 2 Tbsp hot water to steam the gnocchi (see notes)
Be careful when pouring water into a skillet of hot oil. Be sure that there are no pools of oil, it could splatter hot oil on you. Pour the water very slowly and shake the pan gently.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: sweet potato gnocchi, whole wheat gnocchi, low carb gnocchi, easy gnocchi, cheap gnocchi at home, italian sweet potato gnocchi