Sweet potato and whole wheat flour come together to make these nutty soft pillows of perfection. Sautéed, and finished with walnut oil; these sweet potato gnocchi are perfect on their own but stand up to creamy, cheesy, baking, with sauce.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated when you purchase through these links, at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sweet Potato Gnocchi
Crispy sweet potato gnocchi is a game changer. Game changer. In the past, I haven't loved homemade gnocchi because it gets a little gummy when you boil it. And then I figured out, I didn't need to boil it...what. It is so much better when it is sautéed in oil and then given a little boost with water at the end.
This is easy enough to make for lunch. Yummy food for lunch= way to my heart. I was testing this recipe on my own and so I used ¼ of the dough and added spinach and roasted walnut oil for a really simple finish. When I get a do-over I'm going to bake it with spinach, mushrooms, cream and mozzarella for the family.
WHAT GOES IN SWEET POTATO GNOCCHI?
- Sweet Potato: You only need one sweet potato that is baked in the oven or the microwave.
- Whole wheat flour: Whole wheat flour gives this gnocchi a light nutty flavor.
- Egg: You will only need one egg, this helps the gnocchi puff up a little during cooking.
- Salt: The salt brings out all of the brilliant flavors of the sweet potato and nuttiness of the flour. I love natural sea salt for this.
HOW TO MAKE GNOCCHI
- First you will need to combine all the ingredients. I used my KitchenAid mixer because...zero energy these days. You can go the traditional route and just mix it straight on the counter top with your hands or with a hand mixer.
- Knead the dough for three minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 4 quarters and roll each into a long rope. Cut one inch pieces from the rope. You can also roll the gnocchi into the more traditional ridged version using a gnocchi board.
- Saute in batches with a tablespoon of oil (I used roasted walnut oil). Add 2 Tbsp water at the end. See recipe notes.
SERVE THIS SWEET POTATO GNOCCHI WITH:
- Magic Bullet Marinara
- Fennel Apple Salad With Orange Poppy Vinaigrette
- Asiago Roasted Asparagus
- Autumn Crunch Salad With Maple Apple Cider Vinaigrette
Hey- you’ve made it this far, and now we’re BFF’s. If you make this recipe, I would love for you to give it a star rating below (scroll to the comments). Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!Print
Pillowy gnocchi with sweet potato and whole wheat flour is really easy to make!
1 Sweet Potato
1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour
½ tsp salt
1 Tbsp roasted walnut oil for sautéing
Preheat oven to 350°
Place potato directly on rack in oven
Bake 1 hour, allow to cool and remove skin
In a mixer or by hand, combine potato, flour, salt, and egg until a dough forms
Knead dough for 3-5 minutes or until smooth and elastic
Divide into four sections, roll each section into a long rope (about 14 inches)
Cut the rope every 1 inch
Working in four batches, heat oil in a skillet, saute about 5-8 minutes shaking the skillet or stirring to get even cooking on all sides
Slowly pour in 2 Tbsp hot water to steam the gnocchi (see notes)
Be careful when pouring water into a skillet of hot oil. Be sure that there are no pools of oil, it could splatter hot oil on you. Pour the water very slowly and shake the pan gently.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: sweet potato gnocchi, whole wheat gnocchi, low carb gnocchi, easy gnocchi, cheap gnocchi at home, italian sweet potato gnocchi