Soft and Buttery, these dinner rolls are versatile. We love them for dinner, but also for breakfast with strawberry jam. Throw on some fried chicken and they make the best chicken sandwich. Baking them on parchment paper is the key to the crispy butter bottoms.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated when you purchase through these links, at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Farmhouse Style Dinner Rolls
We went crazy. We ate the whole batch of rolls before dinner, during dinner, and after dinner. Gone. Bye rolls. The flavor in these dinner rolls is just amazing. They are soft and yeasty but with these crunchy butter bottoms. The butter bottoms, oh mah gah.
These were easy enough to make, if dinner is at 6:00 you can start these at 1:30 ish, mess with them a little here and there and then have piping hot rolls for dinner. If you are eating dinner at 9:00 like us (I have to pull my life together), you have more time.
THESE DINNER ROLLS THOUGH:
- I promise these aren't hard. It looks like a lot of steps but really it's just 5 minutes every couple of hours.
- These are a cross between an artisan roll and a traditional soft dinner roll. Much more yeast flavor, much more overall flavor.
- The bottoms are a little crunchy thanks to a little butter and parchment paper. Crunchy bottoms = soul of the roll.
- The rustic style makes them easy to make, nothing hard to do here.
- These dinner rolls rise and bake in a casserole dish making them pretty to serve on a buffet or dinner table. I'm all about that pretty food life.
What Goes In Farmhouse Style Dinner Rolls?
- Flour: We used all purpose flour, in the least amount possible as to not overload the dough.
- Water: Hydrates the mixture.
- Instant Yeast: Typically used in bread machine recipes, the Instant yeast allows the dough to rise quickly but still have a lot of flavor.
- Sugar: There is no way around this, the sugar feeds the yeast.
- Olive oil: Olive oil gives a rich flavor and moist texture.
- Salt: Salt improves all of the flavors.
How To Make These Yummy Rolls:
- Proof the yeast: This just means that we are mixing it with water and feeding it sugar to wake it up.
- Prep the dry mixture: Whisk together the flour and salt.
- Mix everything together: Combine the wet and dry ingredients. It will be very wet.
- Let it rise: I ALWAYS let my dough rise in the Instant Pot on the Yogurt setting for two hours.
- Knead: Add 1 ¼ cups more flour and knead for 3-5 minutes.
- Let it rise: Put it back in the Instant Pot on the yogurt setting for an hour.
- Knead in more flour and divide: Use about 2 Tbsp more flour to get the dough divided, it is a very wet dough on purpose. Cut it into equal portions.
- Final rise: Lay down parchment paper in a casserole dish and arrange the dough portions evenly. Allow them to rise in a warm location for 1 ½ hours. I preheat my oven to 150° and then turn it off and open it for 10 minutes before putting the dough in. This heats up the sides of the oven and creates a warm environment for the dough to rise.
- Brush on butter: Carefully brush melted butter onto the top of the rolls.
- Bake (and brush on more butter): Bake them at 400° and then remove them and brush on more butter. Raise the oven temperature to 450° and bake for 10 more minutes.
SERVE THIS WITH:
Hey- you’ve made it this far, and now we’re BFF’s. If you make this recipe, I would love for you to give it a star rating below (scroll to the comments). Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!Print
1 ½ cups warm water (105°-115°)
2 tsp Instant Yeast
2 tsp Sugar
4 ¼ cups flour, divided + 2-4 Tbsp at the end
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp butter, melted, divided
Combine yeast, water, and sugar. Allow to activate for 5 minutes or more. It will become foamy on the top and you will smell the yeast.
Whisk together 3 cups flour and salt
Stir flour mixture, yeast mixture, and olive oil together until combined.
Allow to rise in a greased bowl for 2 hours* see notes
Remove from bowl and knead in 1 ¼ cups flour
Re-grease bowl and allow to rise 1 hour
Remove dough and knead in 2 - 4 Tbsp flour as needed
Divide dough into rolls and place on top of parchment paper in casserole dish
Allow to rise 1 ½ hours
Preheat oven to 400°
Brush tops with 1 Tbsp melted butter
Bake 20 minutes
Remove from oven and brush with 1 Tbsp butter
Raise oven temperature to 450°
Bake 10 minutes
Spray cooking spray into your Instant Pot, place the dough inside, set it for the proper amount of time on the YOGURT SETTING. This creates the perfect environment for the dough to rise.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: dinner rolls, yeast rolls, easy dinner rolls, farmhouse dinner rolls, the best dinner roll recipe