5 ears fresh corn (or 4 cups frozen corn)
2 slices bacon
1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
2 cans creamed corn
1 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp butter, melted
WHIPPED HONEY BUTTER:
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
2 Tbsp half and half
1 Tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Render the bacon: Fry the bacon until crispy about 10 minutes, flipping at 5 minutes.
- Fry the corn: In the bacon drippings, combine corn, onions, and garlic and saute for 10 minutes or until onions are translucent.
- Add thickener: Add butter until melted and stir in flour, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Combine ingredients: Combine eggs, evaporated milk, sugar, creamed corn, and baking powder.
- Stir: Stir in fried corn mixture (and crumbled bacon, optional), and pour into a greased casserole dish (I used cooking spray).
- Bake: Bake 40 minutes; remove from oven and drizzle 1 tbsp melted butter on top. Return to broil at 500°F for 1 minute 30 seconds, watching closely.
- Whip honey butter: Stir together butter and half and half. In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, whip the softened butter mixer with honey until light.
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: corn casserole, corn, thanksgiving side dishes, side dishes, vegetable side dishes, creamed corn casserole, most popular thanksgiving side dishes, great thanksgiving side dishes, popular thanksgiving side dishes, make ahead thanksgiving side dishes, thanksgiving vegetable side dishes, vegetable side dishes for thanksgiving, christmas side dishes, easter side dishes, casserole, easy side dishes, summer vegetable side dishes,