Do you even see that sauce right now? The easiest sauce in the history of sauces. Ever. Ground beef, tomato paste, water, olive oil; BFF’s forever. That saucy slurp sauce is what making this Greek moussaka dinner my favorite in months. I’m living my best dinner life (I mean what else is there) right. this. second.
It’s back to school time and easy weeknight dinners are on the menu. I don’t mean back to school dinners like: you get a ham sandwich, YOU get a ham sandwich, YOUUUUU get a ham sandwich. Although can I get a minute for those easy dinners where you just give up. Those nights. Some times you have to just throw them a sandwich. Not tonight though.
No, I’m talking everyone sits down and slurps it up kind of meal. You made it ahead of time so there’s only a couple of dishes to wash. That means the kids are in bed by 8:00 and you are watching The Real Housewives of Orange County strangle each other with words and maybe hands by 8:30.
Greek Moussaka Dinner = you are winning on a Wednesday night.
How To Make This Greek Moussaka Dinner
It starts with the easiest sauce in history. Brown the ground beef, throw in the tomato paste, olive oil, and water. Let it simmer. While thats working you drizzle a little olive oil on sliced eggplant and roast it for a few minutes.
Next, you will layer it all together like a low carb lasagna. Did I say that’s what this is? Yes, that. Low carb eggplant lasagna in a moussaka costume. You will whip together a little white sauce next and pour it on top. You are 99% done with this.
Sprinkle the mozzarella and a little dried parsley on top and let it get bubbly. Do you see those deep red pockets of sauce? That’s where I’m at right now, with all the heart eyes.
You have got this. That cheerleading coach that wants practice to be from 6:00-8:30, has nothing on you tonight. You win.Print
An easy dinner to make ahead for an easy weeknight dinner, this Moussaka will make the whole family happy.
1 lb ground beef
1 large onion
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp garlic powder
2 6oz. cans tomato paste
2 6 oz. cans water
1 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
2 medium eggplants, sliced
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup plain yogurt
5 egg yolks
1 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 tsp dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 400° (wait until you are baking if you are making this ahead)
- In a heavy bottom pot, brown ground beef with onion and garlic powder
- Add tomato paste, water, olive oil, and salt
- Stir together and simmer for 30 minutes
- Begin layering tomato sauce and sliced eggplant in a casserole dish until you use up all the ingredients
- In a heavy bottom pot, whisk together cream, yogurt, and egg yolks on medium heat
- Allow to cook until the mixture thickens (10-15 minutes) stirring frequently
- Pour on top of the casserole
- Bake for 45 minutes if this is coming out of the refrigerator, less if you are baking it straight away
- Reduce oven to 350° and top with cheese and parsley
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes or until mixture is browned and bubbly
- Category: Easy Weeknight Dinners
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: low carb dinner, moussaka, low carb lasagna, eggplant lasagna, keto, easy weeknight dinner, make ahead, make ahead dinner, weeknight dinner, back to school dinner