Creamy, smoky, tomato-y, this Instant Pot Creamy Tortellini Soup is the perfect FAST dinner for weeknights or tired-nights. Get a blanket and turn on your favorite movie because you are about to meet your new favorite bowl of cozy.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated when you purchase through these links, at no cost to you. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Creamy Tortellini Soup
Who's ready for an 8 minute dinner? I am! This instant pot creamy tortellini soup takes about 8 minutes start to finish and it is a family favorite (read: your kids will eat it without complaining). I just stock these ingredients in the house because I know there will come a time when I haven't planned dinner and I'll be tempted to order out. If you remember from my New Years Resolutions, I'm trying not to do that.
Also, let me tell you something about dump dinners. I am here for it. I am quietly disappointed when a crock pot or instant pot recipe isn't a dump dinner. What?! There are steps before dumping it in...bye. This is the ultimate dump dinner that is ready so fast!
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED FOR TORTELLINI SOUP
- Kielbasa or smoked sausage: Use your favorite. I make this often enough that we use different things. Smoky kielbasa is our favorite.
- Onion: Adds a little sweetness and a lot of flavor.
- Garlic: My flavor babe.
- Spinach: I use frozen chopped spinach.
- Tomato Paste: This thickens the soup.
- Diced Tomatoes: I have forgotten these before and the soup was just as good.
- Chicken Broth: I used regular, salted chicken broth.
- Tortellini: I use frozen cheese tortellini, the brand doesn't matter. Use your favorite!
- Thyme & Tarragon: If you don't have these, you can substitute Italian Seasoning.
- Half & Half or Heavy Cream: I have used both and the cream is out of this world.
- Salt & Pepper: Salt and Peppers herrrre.
- Olive Oil: This is optional if you choose to saute the onions and sausage first.
YOU CAN MEAL PREP THIS SOUP AND IT'S EVEN EASIER
Meal prep runs my life now. It is the only way this family eats before 8pm. Since this is one of our favorite recipes, I have regularly started meal prepping this recipe at the beginning of the week. Simply chop everything that needs chopping (kielbasa, onions, garlic) and then throw everything (frozen things included) into a plastic storage bag. Leave out the broth. Store it in the refrigerator for a few days.
When you are ready, dump it all in, adding the chicken broth, and follow the recipe as is. Meal prepping this recipe just makes it even easier and really low on clean up after dinner. I haven't tried freezing it yet for a freezer meal, but when I do, I will report back (updating this post).
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT CREAMY TORTELLINI SOUP
- You have two options to start: saute the onions and sausage in the Instant Pot...or don't. I make this often and now I meal prep it (above) and just dump it in and start it.
- Next dump everything in. Stir it very well so that everything is incorporated well. Once you start the Instant Pot, your stirring opportunity is gone.
- Set it on Manual for 4 minutes, making sure you turn the toggle toward "sealing".
- Once it is done you can release it immediately by turning the toggle toward "venting" using a long handled spoon or towel to protect your hands.
CAN I MAKE LOW CARB OR KETO TORTELLINI SOUP
All of these ingredients are low carb compatible, except the tortellini. Right now, there aren't any really good products out there that work to make keto, low carb, tortellini. But thank the Lord there are amazing bloggers, pounding the pavement to bring you the best substitutions. Paola at Gnom-Gnom, one of my favorite food blogs, has a recipe for Pillowy-soft fried three cheese ravioli. If you make them, gently stir them into this soup at the end.
Hey- you’ve made it this far, and now we’re BFF’s. If you make this recipe, I would love for you to give it a star rating below (scroll to the comments). Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!
THIS INSTANT POT TORTELLINI SOUP GOES GREAT WITH:
- Parmesan Arugula Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Crumb Bars
- Pesto Braided Bread
- Farmhouse Style Yeast Dinner Rolls
Creamy, smoky, tomato-y, this Instant Pot Creamy Tortellini Soup is the perfect FAST dinner for weeknights or tired-nights. Get a blanket and turn on your favorite movie because you are about to meet your new favorite bowl of cozy. This soup is tomato based with thyme and tarragon, kielbasa and spinach.
1 Tbsp olive oil
13oz kielbasa sausage
1 onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, diced
1 6oz can tomato paste
8 oz frozen spinach
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 Tbsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried tarragon
3 cups chicken broth
8 oz frozen cheese tortellini
1 ½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 cup half and half or heavy whipping cream
- Saute: optional; saute kielbasa and onions in olive oil in the Instant Pot using the Saute function* 3-5 minutes. Press cancel, to cancel the saute function when done.
- Add all ingredients: Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot
- Stir: stir to combine (make sure tomato paste is evenly distributed)
- Seal the Instant Pot: Put the lid on the Instant Pot, push the toggle on top toward "sealing"
- Set the time: Press Manual and set the time for 4 minutes
- Release pressure: Release the pressure immediately by pushing the toggle toward "venting"
- Add Cream: Stir in half and half or cream and allow to stand for 5 minutes
- Stick around as the pressure builds and make sure that the red button pops up (on top), this ensures that the Instant Pot is sealed and under pressure.
- Release pressure by pushing the toggle toward "venting", I use a long handled spoon to keep my hands away from the vent.
- This recipe was updated August 18, 2020
- Category: Fall and Winter Recipes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: tortellini, soup, instant pot, instant pot soup, tortellini soup, instapot, creamy tortellini soup, instapot soup, creamy sausage tortellini soup, tortellini soup with sausage, kielbasa soup, tortellini soup instant pot, soup recipes, soup setting on instant pot, healthy kielbasa recipes, turkey polska kielbasa, kielbasa soup recipes, what to do with kielbasa, kielbasa recipes for dinner, things to make with kielbasa