4 pieces of chicken, bone-in, skin removed (I used 2 legs and 2 thighs)
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
3 sweet onions
FOR THE MARINADE:
1/3 cup yogurt
1 Tbsp ginger, peeled & chopped
1 Tbsp garlic
1 tsp red chili powder, optional
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp salt
Juice of 1 lime or 1 lemon
Reserve 2 Tbsp oil from frying onions
Handful cilantro and mint leaves, chopped
WHOLE HERBS AND SPICES:
3 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
7 green cardamom pods
7 black peppercorns
3 Tbsp Ghee
1/3 cup milk
1/4 tsp saffron threads
Cilantro & Mint leaves
2 cups white basmati rice
2 cups water
- Start by frying the onions in Grapeseed oil until deeply caramelized. Medium heat for 25 minutes.
- Make the marinade for the chicken: Combine garlic, ginger, and 1 Tbsp water in a blender (I use magic bullet) to make a paste. Combine the paste with half of the fried onions, yogurt, red chili powder*, cinnamon, coriander, garam masala, salt, lime juice, onion oil, cilantro, and mint. Let sit for at least 8 hours, but best overnight.
- Prepare the saffron milk by warming milk and adding saffron threads. Allow to sit for 30 minutes or more.
- Layer marinated chicken in the bottom of the Instant Pot, then rice and water. Add the fresh herbs, whole spices, saffron milk, other half of the onions, and ghee.
- Close the lid of the Instant Pot and push the toggle on top toward "sealing". Press Manual and select 13 minutes using the + - control
- Release the pressure immediately by pushing the toggle on top toward "venting"*.
- Remove the chicken and fluff the rice with the fork, stirring gently to combine all of the flavors.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and mint leaves
*Red Chili Powder: This is a spicy chili powder (not American chili powder) it is very spicy so use as much as you like. 1 tsp makes it medium spicy.
* Venting the Instant Pot: I use a long handled wooden spoon to release the steam, keeping my hands away from the toggle.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: biriyani, indian biriyani, how to make biriyani, instant pot biriyani, chicken biriyani, indian rice, basmati rice, instant pot basmati rice, chicken biriyani instant pot, chicken biriyani spices, chicken biriyani recipe