Ragu, sauce, meat sauce, red sauce, gravy, spaghetti sauce…whatever you call it in your house; this braised beef oxtail is swimming in the best ever homemade sauce. Use your favorite noodles (we used long fusili) to make this Sunday-best Instant Pot oxtail spaghetti sauce.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated when you purchase through these links, at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Oxtail Spaghetti Sauce
Even if there were no oxtail in this sauce, the sauce would stand on it’s own. Canned tomatoes, tangy balsamic vinegar, all the garlic, salt, all swirled up in the food processor.
Oxtail is tough, literally. It usually requires braising for at least two hours to get that fall off the bone perfection. I don’t know about you, but I don’t have two hours to babysit anything on the stove. I’m in the trenches with little kids. We don’t cook two hour dinners in the trenches, mkay?
We do however, swirl up this tomato sauce; brown the oxtail and onions, and then deglaze with red wine (extra gulp or 7 of red wine for the parents with littles is mandatory). This ultimate comfort meal comes together in 30 minutes, start to finish; thanks to our best friend the Instant Pot.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Beef oxtail is so good, and supports using the whole animal.
- If the pandemic has left you wondering “where’s the beef”, you can probably still find oxtail since it’s not as widely used.
- Your picky eaters probably still won’t eat the beef; more oxtail for you.
- You can use whatever your favorite noodles are; here we used long Fusili. What is your favorite noodle? Tell me in the comments section at the bottom of this post. My all-time favorite is ziti noodles.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN OXTAIL MEAT SAUCE?
- Beef Oxtail: from the tail, this cut has lots of bone and cartilage but also flavor.
- Tomatoes: the base of the sauce.
- Balsamic Vinegar: tangy and sweet.
- Garlic: my bae.
- Salt: flavor-flave.
- Onions: adds sweetness and caramel flavor.
- Red Wine: adds tang, and slight escape if take a few gulps on the side (recommended).
HOW DO YOU MAKE THIS FLAVORFUL RAGU?
- Get that sauce swirled up in a food processor. Tomatoes, garlic, salt, balsamic vinegar.
- Brown the oxtail with salt, pepper, and olive oil using the Saute setting on the Instant Pot.
- Remove the oxtail and throw in the onions, get them super sweaty.
- Pour in the red wine and scrape all the brown bits off the bottom. Brown bits = all the flavor.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and set the Instant Pot to manual for 30 minutes.
- Cook your noodles according to package directions, OR stop just short of done and…
- (optional but best) Combine the sauce and noodles in a braising dish or skillet and allow to cook together for 5 minutes, finishing the noodles in the sauce.
- Admire it, because you just made you family’s new favorite dinner.
- Pour a glass of red wine and enjoy.
THIS GOES GREAT WITH:
- Mini Strawberry Jam Pies
- Pesto Braided Bread
- Garlic Blue Cheese Wedge Salad
- Fennel Apple Salad With Orange Poppy Vinaigrette
Hey- you’ve made it this far, and now we’re BFF’s. If you make this recipe, I would love for you to give it a star rating below (scroll to the comments). Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!Print
1 lb beef oxtail
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
28 oz diced or crushed tomatoes
6 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1/4 cup red wine
16 oz pasta, prepared according to package directions
- In a food processor, process tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, and salt for 1 minute on high
- Using the saute setting on the Instant Pot, brown the oxtail in olive oil on all sides (about 5 minutes)
- Remove the oxtail and add onions, saute until translucent (about 2 minutes)
- Deglaze the bottom of the Instant Pot with red wine, scraping the brown bits off the bottom
- Add oxtail back into the pot, cover in tomato sauce, give the Instant Pot a shake to get sauce under the oxtail
- Close the lid on the Instant Pot and push toggle to “sealing”. Press Manual and adjust the time to 30 minutes.
- Cook your pasta of choice according to package directions or stop just short of done and drain.
- When finished, carefully* push the toggle to “venting” and vent the steam.
- Combine sauce with noodles and serve or (best) combine with nearly done noodles and allow noodles to cook with sauce for 5 minutes.
* I use a long-handled wooden spoon to switch the toggle to “venting”, keeping my hands away from the steam.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: oxtail, meat sauce, spaghetti sauce, red sauce, pasta sauce, beef pasta sauce, braised oxtail recipe, instant pot oxtail recipe, instant pot spaghetti sauce, oxtail recipes, spaghetti sauce recipe, spaghetti sauce homemade