If you love Panera Creamy Tomato Soup, you will love it even more at home! We made it in the Instant Pot for an easy homemade version of this Panera favorite. Tomatoes, herbs, and sweet onions are blended together and splashed with cream to form the coziest soup you’ve had all year.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated when you purchase through these links, at no cost to you.
Panera Creamy Tomato Soup In The Instant Pot
I love Panera so much, for so many reasons. One being that they use fresh ingredients and make real food. Really good food. When we are out, we usually choose Panera for lunch. Here is the thing though…I want a whole bowl of soup. I do not want to pick two. I’m not going halvsies on my soup and sandwich; a girl is hungry.
When I make this soup at home, I get a whole bowl of soup and none of the social anxiety. And you know what else? I can have a sandwich too. A whole one. The fact that it doesn’t cost two $20’s is just a bonus.
If you can’t go out, won’t go out, or just can’t handle eating all those $20’s for lunch, you can totally make this at home whether you have an Instant Pot or not. In the recipe at the end, I will give instructions in the notes for making this yummy tomato soup on the stove top too.
WHAT GOES IN THIS COZY TOMATO SOUP?
- Diced Tomatoes: The base for this cozy creamy tomato soup.
- Onions: Give the soup a little sweetness and lots of flavor
- Olive oil: Adds flavor.
- Broth/Water: Forms part of the base of the soup.
- Herbs & Spices: All the beautiful flavors.
- Butter: Used to saute the onions adding a rich depth.
- Garlic: My bae.
- Heavy Cream: Not pictured. Adds rich creaminess.
- Tomato Paste: Not pictured. Thickens the soup.
HOW DO YOU MAKE PANERA CREAMY TOMATO SOUP AT HOME?
- Herbs, Olive Oil, Cornstarch, Tomato Paste go in to a blender (I used my Magic Bullet– my favorite kitchen tool) and get pureed until smooth.
- You just made the most amazing tomato flavor slurry you’ve ever had.
- In the Instant Pot, using the saute setting; saute the onions in butter adding a little salt.
- Add the tomato flavor slurry and saute for a minute, then add tomatoes, broth or water, …Set the Instant Pot to manual for 5 minutes.
- Blend the soup using your favorite method. I am using an immersion blender, the quickest way to do it.
- Add the cream and give it a stir.
- Admire it.
- Hold it tight.
THIS GOES GREAT WITH:
- 100% Whole Wheat Bread In The Bread Machine
- Homemade Croutons
- Panera Copycat Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich
- Savory Smoked Gouda and Thyme Sweet Potatoes
Hey- you’ve made it this far, and now we’re BFF’s. If you make this recipe, I would love for you to give it a star rating below (scroll to the comments). Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!Print
2 28oz cans diced tomatoes
3 cups broth or water, divided*
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 medium sweet onions, diced
2 Tbsp salted butter
1 Tbsp sweetener (I used Swerve, sugar substitute)
4 1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp celery seed
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1/8–1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp cornstarch
4 large cloves garlic, minced
3 Tbsp tomato paste
In a Magic Bullet (or blender/food processor) combine olive oil, 1/4 cup broth herbs, spices, sweetener, cornstarch, garlic, and tomato paste. Puree until a smooth paste forms.
Set the Instant Pot to “Saute”, add butter, onions, and 1/4 tsp salt, cook until translucent and tender, stirring often about two minutes.
Add the tomato flavor slurry (all that stuff you just blended), saute two minutes
Add tomatoes, water/broth, and remaining salt
Set the Instant Pot to “manual” for 5 minutes. Push the toggle on the lid to “sealing”
Once done, release pressure by pushing the toggle on top toward “venting” avoiding the hot steam.
Puree the soup using an immersion blender (my choice) or blender.
Stir in the heavy cream
*Paneras version of this creamy tomato soup is vegetarian and they use water instead of broth. If you need this to be Vegetarian, use water in place of broth. If you don’t especially need this to be Vegetarian, use chicken broth.
* To make this on the stove top, do everything exactly the same but in a heavy bottom pot such as a dutch oven. Bring it to a boil, and allow it to simmer for an hour.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: panera vegetarian creamy tomato soup, panera tomato soup, creamy tomato soup, homemade tomato soup, panera copycat tomato soup