This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated when you purchase through these links, at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’m back with another low carb pasta recipe. Something to get you excited about low carb again. This low carb fettuccine in shrimp fra diavolo sauce is all the things: slurpy, spicy, shrimpy…but best of all…satisfying and healthy.
I’m all about having a lunch I remember, and for me, it has to be a hot lunch. If I don’t eat a hot lunch, then second lunch is right around the corner. Second lunch may or may not be handfuls of cheez-its, so it’s better to get a good, hot, slurpy lunch.
How Do You Actually Make Low Carb Pasta?
Shirataki noodles are the secret ingredient. Shirataki is my lunch time BFF. Is it a dead ringer, can’t-tell-the-difference, for pasta? No. Can you make yourself believe it is pasta? Yes. The texture is different; it doesn’t have a soft bite and it is a little more chewy. It won’t soak up the sauce, but if you follow a few tips the sauce will stick nicely. After you are done, you feel like you ate pasta, that matters. Feeling like you’re getting something you want matters.
How To Make Low Carb Fettuccine In Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavolo Sauce
You start with making the slurpy tomato sauce. A little olive oil, tomato paste, crushed red pepper, and water go into the skillet.
Once you stir these ingredients together, you will toss in the shrimp. Get it bubbly and then throw in the Shirataki noodles. Make sure you see my notes in the recipe about prepping the noodles to go in.
There are things to know.
The shirataki noodles don’t need to be cooked, just heated through, so this is a really fast meal at 20 minutes or less. I’m eating it for lunch with a little side salad and lots of shredded parmesan on top. This is the ultimate Keto lunch.
What is so great about Shirataki Noodles?
So many things.
- Shirataki noodles are low carb and Keto friendly.
- They have 20 calories per serving, so they fit nicely into a low calorie/low fat diet.
- They are Vegan and Vegetarian friendly.
- They are plant based, being made of Glucomannan fiber
- These noodles lend themselves well toward Asian dishes, making the Angel hair variety almost a dead ringer for vermicelli in Thai dishes for example (This might be the number one reason I love them).
If you want this again tomorrow for lunch but want to switch it up, try my Low Carb Spaghetti In A Tomato Cream Sauce (my favorite).Print
This low carb fettuccine spicy shrimp fra diavolo uses Shirataki Fettuccine noodles. This makes a really yummy lunch or small dinner. You can cook the shrimp on the own and use it as a tapas plate.
2 Tbsp tomato paste *plus more
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 package Shirataki noodles, fettuccine
1/2 cup water
1/8 tsp salt
In a skillet, combine tomato paste, oil, red pepper flakes, salt, and water
Stir together and bring to a simmer over medium heat
Add shrimp and simmer in the sauce for 7-10 minutes or until cooked through
Add Shirataki noodles *see notes
Continue to simmer for 5 minutes
If mixture becomes a little watery, add tomato paste 1 tsp at a time.
I don’t like Shirataki noodles for children. I worry about choking, they don’t chew up quite like normal pasta.
Taking a second to prep the noodles makes this a better dish.
1. Open the package, strain the noodles, and rinse them.
2. Spread them out on paper towels and blot them with more paper towels. You want to get as much water off as possible.
3. Cut them roughly (chop them a few times, don’t dice them or anything). This helps shorten their length and keeps them from sticking to each other in the pan. They tend to want to clump together otherwise.
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: shirataki, keto pasta, low carb pasta, low carb fettuccine, keto fettuccine, shrimp, shrimp fra diavolo, spicy shrimp, pescatarian