Roasted garlic, onions, white wine, and cream come together with chicken thighs (or breasts) to make this rich, creamy garlic chicken dinner. Serve this with rice or egg noodles for an easy meal the family will love.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated when you purchase through these links, at no cost to you. As an Amazon Affiliate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Creamy Garlic Chicken Dinner
This one pan creamy garlic chicken dinner is SO yum over rice. The chicken is perfectly cooked, and the roasted garlic sauce is to die for. I promise, if you make it with rice, there will be no leftovers. In fact, I only got one chicken thigh. My family gobbled it up.
This garlic chicken dinner is really easy and low clean up if you meal prep it ahead of time (scroll down). I have recently rediscovered meal prepping...out of desperation to get dinner on the table by 6:00, and the kitchen cleaned up shortly after (and not the next morning). Meal prep totally works to help me accomplish this.
I know that this would be helpful to so many other busy Moms and Dads out there, so I am including meal prep instructions for recipes as much as I can from now on. I am also going back and updating recipes with meal prep instructions.
HOW TO MEAL PREP THIS EASY DINNER
This is an easy meal prep dinner! Dicing, chopping, and dividing ahead of time saves time both in prep time and clean up time in the evening. If you are trying to get dinner on the table early, meal prep is the way to go.
- Roast the garlic ahead of time using my instructions from: How To Roast Garlic in Terracotta
- Dice the onions
- Trim the chicken if needed
- Place it all in a bag and store it in the refrigerator until meal time.
- Once you are ready to cook, remove the chicken thighs to saute and continue following the recipe.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED FOR THIS CREAMY CHICKEN DINNER
- Roasted Garlic: Follow my instructions in How To Roast Garlic In Terracotta.
- Onion: Just one. It adds a little sweetness.
- Chicken Thighs: Boneless, skinless. You can also use chicken breast but cut them in half to make sure they get cooked all the way through.
- White Wine: Gives it a little something something.
- Thyme: Fresh thyme, I used 5 sprigs. You can substitute ½ tsp dried thyme.
- Chicken Broth: Responsible for that gorgeous sauce.
- Heavy Cream: Richness.
- Cornstarch: Thickens the sauce at end so you can scoop it up properly.
- Salt and Pepper: Flavor boosters.
HOW DO YOU MAKE GARLIC CHICKEN?
- Start with a drizzle of olive oil in a warm pan. Once the pan heats up, add the chicken.
- Brown the chicken.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and add the onions and garlic.
- Saute until translucent, smashing the garlic as you stir.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine. Pour the cold wine into the pan and scrape all of the brown bits from the bottom of the pan quickly, add the thyme.
- Add the chicken broth and cream, bring to a low simmer, 5 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch and cold water, stir into the sauce and bring back to a low simmer until sauce thickens.
THIS GOES GREAT WITH:
- Easy Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Parmesan Arugula Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Bourbon Peaches A La Mode
- Fennel Apple Salad with Orange Poppy Vinaigrette
Hey- you’ve made it this far, and now we’re BFF’s. If you make this recipe, I would love for you to give it a star rating below (scroll to the comments). Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!Print
6 chicken thighs, trimmed
1 onion, diced
1 tsp olive oil
1 bulb of garlic, roasted (see How To Roast Garlic)
½ cup white wine
5 sprigs fresh thyme
¾ cups chicken broth
½ cup heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp cornstarch + 1 Tbsp cold water
- Warm the skillet/pan: Warm the pan and add olive oil
- Brown the chicken: Brown the chicken over medium high heat. About 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken: Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add Onions & Garlic: Lower heat to medium. Add the onions and garlic to the skillet, stirring frequently and smashing the garlic.
- Deglaze the pan: Pour in white wine and scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add chicken broth: Add chicken broth and thyme. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cream: Stir in cream and simmer 3 more minutes
- Thicken sauce: Combine cornstarch and water and pour over sauce. Stir completely and make sure the sauce comes back to a simmer.
Remove thyme sprigs before serving.
Serve over rice or egg noodles.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: chicken dinners, chicken dinner, chicken skillet, one pan dinner, meal prep, garlic chicken, creamy chicken, what to make for dinner tonight, what should i eat for dinner, dinner options, dinner ideas with chicken breast, whats for dinner tonight, chicken thigh dinner ideas, things to cook for dinner, dinner ideas with chicken thighs, one pan creamy garlic chicken, how to meal prep for the week,