Chewy cheese bites swimming in flavorful spinach curry; this Indian comfort meal is a go-to in our house. You can make it spicy or not, it's up to you. Onions, garlic, ginger, and soft creamy spinach make this meat-free meal. Palak paneer will be everyone's new favorite dinner.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated when you purchase through these links, at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Palak Paneer Indian Spinach Curry
I found Paneer cheese last week at my local gourmet grocery store. I couldn't believe it. It was the first time I have found this Indian "cottage" cheese since we moved home from the Middle East. It's important to know that it isn't cottage cheese as we know it here in the US. It is more like farmers cheese that is pressed with the moisture removed.
This spinach curry dish is ridiculously easy to make. So if you are having a busy night, or a lazy night, or a meatless Monday...I've got you boo. This comes together in a snap, especially if you already have that masala curry paste from the other night in the frig. I promise, making that paste ahead on Sunday will give you a few quick meals during the week.
Despite my quarantine goals of making SO much food all the time, SO many family dinners and lunches, I actually am just exhausted at the end of the day just like every other day of life. My schedule is less rigorous, but I'm still just putting out fires all day with the kids, chickens, cat, groundhogs, garden, orchard, neighbors. An easy dinner means I can have extra time in the evening for my brain to decompress. My brain needs that. Does your brain need that? How are you doing during this pandemic? Can you let me know in the comments section at the end of this post?
PALAK PANEER IS A VERSATILE MEAL:
- If you are feeling the pinch with the meat shortage this is the perfect meat-free meal that totally has enough protein.
- You don't have to use paneer. You can sub meat balls, chicken, tofu (make it Vegan!),
- Serve it with rice (I made brown rice) on the side and a simple salad with cucumber, tomato, and red onion with lemon juice and cumin.
What goes in Indian Spinach Curry (Palak Paneer)?
- The Best Masala Curry Paste: Our versatile recipe is perfect for making ahead at the beginning of the week. A paste of onions, garlic, ginger, cilantro, garam masala, turmeric, coriander powder, and more.
- Spinach: I used frozen because that's what I had on hand.
- Paneer: Indian cheese, check your local gourmet grocery (I found it at Wegmans), or International store.
- Coconut Milk: Full fat, low fat, doesn't matter. Gives a nice creamy texture.
- Green Chilis: optional. Use birdseye chilis, they will be super spicy but have so much flavor. (or serrano/jalapeno peppers).
- Water: Helps smooth out the spinach while simmering.
- Salt: Flavor-flave.
How do you make this Vegetarian spinach curry?
- Puree the spinach in a food processor. You can do this before or after you simmer it for 20 minutes. I did it first because I wanted a chunkier dinner. Pureeing after simmering will give a smoother texture.
- Make this beautiful curry paste. If you want to add the chilis, now would be the time.
- Cube your paneer.
- Saute the paneer. Watch it closely, it will brown in 2 minutes.
- Saute the curry paste, add a little water if it seems to be sticking and burning.
- Diced tomato goes in and is cooked until soft.
- Add that pretty green spinach, water, and salt; simmer 20-30 minutes
- Stir in the coconut milk and simmer 10 more minutes.
- Add the paneer back to the skillet and eat. it. up.
THIS GOES GREAT WITH:
- Easy Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- Fennel Apple Salad with Orange Poppy Vinaigrette
- Thai Chicken Meatballs With Ginger
Hey- you’ve made it this far, and now we’re BFF’s. If you make this recipe, I would love for you to give it a star rating below (scroll to the comments). Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!Print
You can make it spicy or not, it's up to you. Onions, garlic, ginger, and soft creamy spinach make this meat-free meal. Palak paneer will be everyone's new favorite dinner.
2 Tbsp grapeseed oil
¼ cup Best Masala Curry Paste
3 cups thawed frozen spinach, pureed
8 oz. paneer cheese, cubed
1 small tomato, diced
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 can full fat coconut milk
optional: 2 green birdseye chilis or 1 serrano pepper or 1-2 jalapeno peppers
Saute paneer in grapeseed oil. Brown on all sides. Watch it closely, it will brown very fast 2 minutes.
Remove paneer and save to the side, add curry paste and saute for 2 minutes.
Add diced tomato, saute for 2 minutes
Add spinach, water, and salt; simmer 20-30 minutes
Stir in coconut milk, simmer for 10 minutes
Add paneer cheese back to the pan and serve
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Simmer
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: palak paneer, spinach curry, indian spinach curry, vegetarian curry, best palak paneer recipe, palak paneer restaurant style, palak paneer recipe, indian food recipes vegetarian