Soft and buttery roasted acorn squash gets topped with a flavorful mixture of quinoa, kale, pecans, onions, and garlic. This healthy vegetarian but also delicious quinoa stuffed acorn squash will give you all the fall feels at meal time.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated when you purchase through these links, at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash With Kale and Pecans
Do you love fall/winter squash as much as I do? Yes? Okay, we are friends then, and we are about to get even friends-ier because I have stuffed acorn squash recipe you need to make. It is full of the healthy things you need to eat after the quarantine binge/buffett-all-day days of summer. I mean…if you didn’t do that…then go-you. We did that. And I’m pretty sure we ate three pans of focaccia last week and now we need to refocus. So let’s refocus. Bring it back to center.
The kale, pecans, and quinoa mean healthy fats and protein for fall (also I put a little butter, sorry/not sorry). This is a really easy dish to make and totally scaleable for holiday gatherings or dinner parties. Just pop more halved acorn squash in the oven and scale up the quinoa mixture.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED FOR STUFFED ACORN SQUASH
- Acorn squash: Fresh acorn squash, halved and seeded.
- Olive Oil: You can also do a quick olive oil spray if you don’t want to use as much olive oil.
- Quinoa: Protein packed quinoa, it doesn’t matter the variety.
- Kale: Fresh leafy green kale. You can also substitute spinach in place of the kale.
- Onions & Garlic: My flavor friends.
- Panko Breadcrumbs: These get nice and crispy when sauteed in a little butter.
- Butter: Makes everything better.
- Rosemary: A totally voluntary addition to the breadcrumbs.
- Salt & Pepper: Sah-Salt and Peppers here.
HOW TO MAKE THIS STUFFED ACORN SQUASH RECIPE
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Drizzle the acorn squash with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- While the squash is baking: Melt butter and saute the onions, garlic, pecans, and kale until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Combine onion mixture with 1 1/2 cups of the cooked quinoa *see notes for how to cook quinoa.
- Melt 1 tsp of butter and add Panko bread crumbs and rosemary.
- Saute until breadcrumbs begin to brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Fill the acorn squash with the quinoa mixture (it will be overflowing) and top with rosemary bread crumbs.
THIS ACORN SQUASH GOES GREAT WITH:
- Savory Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Tart
- One Pan Creamy Garlic Chicken Dinner
- Autumn Crunch Salad with Maple Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Farmhouse Yeast Rolls
- Authentic Italian Focaccia
Hey- you’ve made it this far, and now we’re BFF’s. If you make this recipe, I would love for you to give it a star rating below (scroll to the comments). Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!Print
1 Acorn Squash, halved + seeds removed
2 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to sprinkle
1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water or broth
1 Tbsp butter
2 cups kale, stems removed + chopped
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp butter
1/2 cup panko breakcrumbs
1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- Preheat: Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Prepare Acorn Squash: Drizzle the acorn squash with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake: Bake for 45 minutes.
- Saute: While the squash is baking: Melt butter and Saute the onions, garlic, pecans, and kale until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Prepare Quinoa mixture: Combine onion mixture with 1 1/2 cups of the cooked quinoa *see notes for how to cook quinoa.
- Toast breadcrumbs: Melt 1 tsp of butter and add panko bread crumbs and rosemary, saute 3-5 minutes until breadcrumbs begin to brown.
- Assemble: Fill the acorn squash with the quinoa mixture (it will be overflowing) and top with rosemary bread crumbs.
How to cook quinoa: start by rinsing the quinoa one time. Combine quinoa with water and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover for 25-30 minutes.
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: stuffed acorn squash vegetarian, stuffed acorn squash, stuffed acorn squash recipes, acorn squash recipes, how to cook acorn squash in the oven, baked acorn squash recipe, cooking acorn squash in oven, quinoa stuffed acorn squash,