The most delicious and perfectly spiced Apple Crisp you have ever had. Soft baked apples are nestled into a buttery root beer cardamom sauce and topped with a crunchy, sweet oat topping. Perfect with vanilla ice cream, this apple crisp recipe is both easy and delicious.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated when you purchase through these links, at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Apple Crisp With Cardamom Spice
First, let me say…I will never make apple anything without cardamom again.
Cardamom + Apple = Soul mates
This was just the best apple crisp I have ever had. In this season where apples are cheaper by the dozen, I am keeping this in the refrigerator by making it twice a week (I’m not exaggerating). Breakfast, lunch, and dinner…apple crisp. We didn’t have vanilla ice cream when I initially made this dessert and took the pictures and we just spooned it until it was gone so…no time to run out to the store. But do that, k?
This makes a great brunch dish, this root beer apple crisp recipe belongs permanently affixed to your brunch menu alongside those Pumpkin Shakshuka baked eggs I shared the other day. A fall brunch sounds so nice, doesn’t it? I would also totally make my Authentic Italian Focaccia recipe for that brunch. Pumpkin shakshuka, Apple Crisp, Decorated Focaccia, and that Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Tart. It sounds like I’m planning a brunch I think. Am I? I am.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED FOR CARDAMOM APPLE CRISP
- Apples: Your favorite variety. My favorite is Honeycrisp, but here I used Gala.
- Butter: For the apple mixture and the oat crisp.
- Sugar and Brown Sugar or Swerve: I used Swerve brown sugar and Swerve granulated sugar.
- Root Beer: I used Diet Root Beer, but use your favorite. All the anise and aged vanilla flavors are amazing.
- Cornstarch: Thickens the sauce as the apples cook.
- Cardamom: Do not skip this. You can grind it fresh from pods (what I did), or use ground Cardamom.
- Cinnamon: So yum. So cozy.
- Oats: I used quick oats because that is what I had on hand, rolled oats would be a better choice. We are all just doing our best with what we have from the store right now, it’s the same for me and this apple crisp.
- Pecans: Optional, chopped for the topping (so good!)
- Vanilla Extract: Also for the topping.
HOW TO MAKE THIS FALL DESSERT RECIPE
This root beer cardamom apple crisp is an easy 10 minute prep:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine melted butter, brown sugar (or Swerve), root beer, cardamom, and cinnamon.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water and then stir into the butter mixture.
- Toss apples in the mixture and transfer to a baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Combine oats, melted butter, pecans, vanilla, and sugar or Swerve.
- Remove apples from the oven, stir, and sprinkle oats over the top of the apple mixture.
- Return to the oven for 20 minutes or until oats begin to brown and become crisp.
THIS CARDAMOM APPLE CRISP WOULD MAKE A GREAT BRUNCH WITH:
- Pumpkin Shakshuka Baked Eggs
- Authentic Italian Focaccia
- Starbucks Worthy Latte
- Parmesan Arugula Salad With Lemon Vinaigrette
- Savory Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Tart
- Crockpot Apple Butter
Hey- you’ve made it this far, and now we’re BFF’s. If you make this recipe, I would love for you to give it a star rating below (scroll to the comments). Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!Print
FOR THE APPLE MIXTURE:
5 apples, sliced
4 Tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar (or Swerve brown sugar substitute)
1/2 cup Root beer or Diet Root beer
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp cold water
6 cardamom pods freshly ground or 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp cinnamon
FOR THE CRISP TOPPING:
1 1/2 cups oats (rolled are best)
4 Tbsp melted butter
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine: Combine melted butter, brown sugar (or Swerve), root beer, cardamom, and cinnamon.
- Stir: Combine cornstarch and cold water and then stir into the butter mixture.
- Toss: Toss apples in the mixture and transfer to a baking dish.
- Bake: Bake for 30 minutes uncovered.
- Combine: Combine oats, melted butter, pecans, vanilla, and sugar or Swerve.
- Sprinkle: Remove apples from the oven, stir, and sprinkle oats over the top of the apple mixture.
- Bake: Return to the oven for 20 minutes or until oats begin to brown and become crisp.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: apple crisp, the best apple crisp recipe, cardamom apple crisp, fall apple crisp, apple crisp with fresh apples, how do you make apple crisp, healthy apple crisp, easy recipe for apple crisp, best recipe for apple crisp, apple crisp with oats recipe, apple crisp with oats, how to make apple crisp, apple crisp recipe with oatmeal, apple crisp recipe with oats, apple crisp easy recipe, apple crisp easy, apple cardamom crisp, apple crisp with cardamom