Savory vegan scrambled eggs (tofu) swirled with smoky chipotle, onion, tomato, and cilantro, and topped with melted vegan cheddar cheese. One very secret ingredient transforms the tofu giving it the perfect egg flavor you miss. This is my favorite recipe of all time, you won’t be able to tell it isn’t cheesy scrambled eggs!
This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated when you purchase through these links, at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Vegan Scrambled Eggs With Cheese
This.is.it.k. Run to the store, grab the ingredients and meet me back here for breakfast. While you’re working on that, let’s talk about how much we might miss eggs. Do you? That’s one of my top two foods I miss (and sushi). Before I became a vegan, I ate eggs every single morning. It was a low carb option for me because I thought I needed to be on a low carb diet. Not true. Fake news.
It turns out, my body, all along, hasn’t been able to handle animal proteins at all. More on that another time, but the bottom line is that I love eggs, and I’m not a sweets girl in the morning. I want toast and eggs in the morning, even fruit is a stretch in the morning for me.
I TRIED OTHER VEGAN EGG RECIPES & PLANT-BASED EGG SUBSTITUTES
I’ve been working on coming up with a really solid option to share with you for about a month now, so let’s talk about that. First, I tried Just Egg. It was very interesting. I liked the idea of it being easy to pour out of the bottle and scramble up but ultimately here’s why it didn’t work for me:
- On its own, it didn’t quite taste like egg.
- I could taste the binding agent and that caused the texture to be off for me. Bouncy, gummy, chewy, no.
- It was more than I wanted to spend because I like “eggs” every day and one bottle would probably only last us one day for the family or three days for me alone.
I also tried a few recipes that involved turmeric and dijon mustard. No.go. Not like eggs, and while I love turmeric for my Indian recipes, it doesn’t belong in eggs. Also, the dijon, unless it’s deviled eggs…it doesn’t make anything taste like eggs. I’m serious about my eggs and we are going to get this right.
THE SECRET TO MAKING TOFU TASTE LIKE EGGS
There is a secret ingredient that lends that egg flavor that will make your little vegan dreams come true. It’s called Kala Namak; it is an Indian Black Salt that has a sulfurous smell and an overwhelming egg flavor. Like…if you taste it directly on your finger, it tastes like you just ate an egg. Crazy. We ordered it on Amazon and when it came in, you should have seen us. I hadn’t had eggs in a month or more…and anyway…it was exciting. It doesn’t have an overly salty taste like for example, large flake kosher salt, so you can get away with using a little bit more than you usually would.
The Kala Namak salt doesn’t completely override the tofu flavor, but it does enhance it and ultimately combined with the other ingredients in this recipe, makes it taste JUST LIKE scrambled eggs. Non-vegans might not be able to even tell the difference between their favorite scrambled eggs and these vegan scrambled eggs.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED FOR VEGAN SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH CHEESE
- Tofu: Firm or Extra Firm, I like to buy organic.
- Kala Namak: Indian Black Salt that tastes just like eggs.
- Chipotle en adobo: Smoked jalapeños that can be found canned in the Latin section of the grocery store.
- Onion/Tomato/Cilantro: All fresh. These are processed with chipotle peppers to become a salsa for the vegan scrambled eggs.
- Daiya brand cheddar cheese shreds: After trying A LOT of vegan cheese brands, this is the one that I feel imitates melted cheddar the best for these cheesy eggs.
YOU CAN MEAL PREP THIS PLANT-BASED EGG BREAKFAST
At the beginning of the week, I prep everything so that I can make the vegan scrambled eggs just as easy as if I were pulling out real eggs. I start by draining two blocks of tofu and pressing the water out for 30 minutes or so. It’s not a big deal not to get all the water out because you are sautéing it later. I do put a paper towel at the bottom of my plastic container to catch any liquid throughout the week. I run the salsa ingredients through a food processor and also store those in a plastic container.
THESE PLANT-BASED VEGAN SCRAMBLED EGGS WITH CHEESE WOULD GO GREAT WITH:
- Field Roast Breakfast Sausages (I love these, you can find them at Target or nicer grocery stores)
- Ezekial Bread Flourless Sesame Bread (SO GOOD)
- Kite Hill Vegan Cream Cheese (my favorite brand, also at Target or nicer grocery stores)
- Gingerbread Breakfast Granola (oil-free, vegan)
- Farmhouse Rolls With Sugar-Free Strawberry Jam
Hey- you’ve made it this far, and now we’re BFFs. If you make this vegan scrambled eggs with cheese recipe, I would love for you to give it a star rating below (scroll down to the comments). P.S. What makes me happiest is hearing from you! Make sure you follow me on Instagram (please tag me!), Pinterest, and Facebook too!Print
2 Chipotle en adobo peppers with about 1 Tbsp of sauce
1 small onion
1 bunch of cilantro, stems and leaves
3 small tomatoes
1–2 blocks of extra firm tofu
1/2 tsp Kala Namak Salt
1/4 cup Daiya cheddar shreds (or other vegan cheese)
- Process: Process chipotle peppers, onion, cilantro, and tomatoes in a food processor. Pulse 10x for 1 second each time or until the mixture forms a salsa.
- Saute: Heat a skillet to medium heat and add oil, plant butter, or cooking spray. Add 1 cup of crumbled tofu and saute.
- Add Salt: Sprinkle Kala Namak salt over the tofu. Stir and continue cooking until tofu is lightly browned.
- Add Salsa: Add the desired amount of salsa (I like about 1/2 cup) and continue cooking for 3-5 more minutes.
- Add Cheese: Add vegan cheese and continue to cook until cheese is melted.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Saute
- Cuisine: Mexican American
Keywords: vegan, vegan breakfast, savory vegan breakfast, easy vegan breakfast recipes, healthy vegan breakfast, vegan eggs, vegan replacement for eggs, just eggs vegan, vegetarian breakfast, plant based breakfast, plant based, plant based eggs, egg substitute, plant based egg substitute,