You will want to make this recipe for sweet blueberry biscuits every weekend, they’re that good. We used whole wheat flour and dried blueberries in these amazing biscuits. Swerve, sugar substitute makes these sugar free, but you can use sugar. The glaze is even sugar free!
This post may contain affiliate links. I may be compensated when you purchase through these links, at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sunday morning I set out to make cinnamon raisin biscuits, but then I remembered none of us like raisins. It’s been a long week so I definitely am not sitting by watching my daughter pick out every single raisin while crying that the raisins touched the biscuit. No thanks.
But the blueberries y’all. Why have I never thought of that. I am a biscuit pro…in the sense of eating the biscuits…pro biscuit eater, right here. I could have been putting blueberries in them the WHOLE TIME!
You know what, I would totally eat these with ham and cheese…wait…AND a poached egg. Can I do that? Egg, ham, and cheese on a biscuit? Lorddddt I’m doing it today for breakfast.
SWEET BLUEBERRY BISCUITS TASTE BETTER ON SUNDAYS
- They also taste good Mon-Sat but I’m just saying…Sunday mornings seem even more special with blueberry biscuits.
- The bottoms have a little crunch thanks to the butter. Thank you butterrrrr.
- The kids will love them even though they are whole wheat, that’s a win on the weekend.
- We had leftovers and were able to get two breakfasts out this recipe.
- I don’t hate a ham and cheese sandwich on these biscuits.
What Goes In These Blueberry Biscuits?
- Whole Wheat Flour: Don’t be disappointed. These are SO GOOD with whole wheat flour. You can also use all purpose flour but you will need to raise the butter to 8 Tbsp and skip the Vital Wheat Gluten.
- Vital Wheat Gluten: This helps the whole wheat flour fluff up and be a littler lighter.
- Sweetened Dried Blueberries: You can sub cranberries, raisins, or any other dried fruit you can find…but really the blueberries are 100% that fruit.
- Baking Powder: This helps the biscuits rise in the oven.
- Sweetener: We used Swerve sugar substitute but you can use 1/4 cup regular sugar..
- Powdered Sweetener: Used for the glaze on top of the biscuits. We used Swerve powdered sugar substitute but you can use regular powdered sugar.
- Butter: Butttahhhhhh. This helps the biscuits fluff up and adds a buttery flavor and crunch to the bottom of the biscuit.
- Vanilla Extract: A whole tablespoon. Just gives it a cakey, creamy, warm flavor. Pro bakery status in your kitchen.
- Milk: Again, more assistance on fluffing and hydrates the mixture. Also used in the sweet glaze on top.
- Egg: Optional, used for brushing on the tops for browning.
How To Make Blueberry Biscuits
- Gather your ingredients.
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Cut butter in using a pastry blender or two knives. Make sure the butter pieces are pea sized.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture, pour in the milk.
- Stir in blueberries before a dough forms.
- Once it comes together, turn it out onto a floured surface and knead with your hands for a minute, let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Pat it out to 1″ thickness (or less depending on the size of the biscuits you want) . Cut with a biscuit cutter, or the rim of a glass.
- Arrange them on a baking sheet, and brush with egg wash
- Bake them at 400° for 15 minutes and then glaze.
THIS GOES GREAT WITH:
- Instant Pot Strawberry Jam
- Kitchen Sink Mushroom Poblano Frittata
- Instant Pot Soft Boiled Eggs
- Low Carb Pumpkin Granola
- Spicy Low Carb Breakfast Casserole
Hey- you’ve made it this far, and now we’re BFF’s. If you make this recipe, I would love for you to give it a star rating below (scroll to the comments). Make sure you follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook too!Print
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp Vital Wheat Gluen
1 cup milk
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
6 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup dried blueberries
Egg wash: optional 1 egg + 1 Tbsp milk
Preheat oven to 400°
Whisk together dry ingredients
Cut in butter using a pastry blender or two knives until butter is pea sized
Combine milk and vanilla extract in a well in the middle of the dry ingredients
Add blueberries and begin stirring until a soft dough forms
Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for a minute or two
Let the dough rest 5 minutes
Pat out (no need to roll) to a 1″ thickness, cut with a biscuit cutter or rim of a glass
Place on a baking sheet and brush with egg wash
Bake 10-14 minutes
YOU CAN MAKE THESE WITH WHITE FLOUR AND SUGAR:
Everything stays the same but change this:
Eliminate Vital Wheat Gluten
Use 8 Tbsp butter
Use 1/4 cup sugar
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: blueberry biscuits, whole wheat blueberry biscuits, no sugar blueberry biscuits, sugar free sweet biscuits, biscuits with blueberries