1 package of dumpling wrappers (this will make about 22–28 dumplings)
VEGETARIAN PORK MIXTURE:
2 Beyond Meat Brat Links (original flavor)
1 cup finely chopped cabbage
3 green onions, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1 Tbsp sesame oil + 1 tsp for sauteing
1 Tbsp soy sauce (low sodium)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sriracha
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp brown sugar or Swerve brown sugar substitute
1 tsp Sambal Oelek (chili paste)
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
- combine Beyond Meat brats, cabbage, green onions, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, salt, and sriracha. I used my hands to mix everything together evenly.
- Prepare the sauce: As you prepare the vegetables and spices, prepare what you need for the sauce in a small bowl, stir everything together.
- Set up your dumpling wrapping station: “meat” mixture, wrappers, a small bowl of water, and a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and dusted with cornstarch or flour.
- Begin wrapping: Set down four dumpling wrappers*. Using your finger wet the edges all the way around with water. Place a little more than a tablespoon of “meat” filling in the middle of the wrappers.
- Start folding: Fold the bottom of the wrapper to meet the top of the wrapper, trace the outer edge with more water. Fold the outside edges inward and then pleat the side of the wrapper closest to you over on itself (working from left to right). You can also pleat the entire wrapper. Pinch the edges together firmly.
- Cook the dumplings: USING A BAMBOO STEAMER: Fill a pan with at least one cup of water. Place your bamboo steamer on top. Line the steamer with leftover cabbage leaves** and place the dumplings on top. Place all layers of the steamer and turn up the heat to medium-high. Steam 15 minutes. SAUTEING/STEAMING: Heat a tsp of sesame oil on medium-high heat. Layer dumplings in a single layer and watch for burning. When one side is browned 2-3 minutes, carefully*** pour in 1/2 cup water and cover immediately and tightly with a lid. Allow to steam 5 minutes or until done.
* Doing four at a time (or more) makes it go much faster.
** Lining the bamboo steamer with cabbage leaves keeps the dumplings from sticking. They will stick without this.
*** Be careful. There is sesame oil in the pan, water + oil will sputter and steam. Pour it in an stand back making sure children and pets are not in the area. Hold the lid of the pan in front of you to block any oil that may splatter.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Steam
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: vegetarian dumplings recipe, gyoza recipe pork, vegetarian chinese dumplings, homemade dumplings, chinese dumplings, pork gyoza, vegetarian pork gyoza, vegetarian chinese dumplings, steamed dumplings, vegetarian steamed dumplings, how to make chinese food at home, chinese dumplings recipe, chinese dumplings at home,