16oz elbow macaroni, cooked just short of done
3 Tbsp Plant Butter (or other vegan butter)
1/3 cup vegan cream cheese (I like Kite Hill)
1 1/2 cup vegan yogurt (I like Kite Hill)
2 cup shredded vegan cheddar (Daiya and Field Roast Chao are the best)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
FOR THE CRISPY BREADCRUMBS:
1 Tbsp plant butter
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Cook macaroni: Cook macaroni according to package instructions stopping when the pasta is not quite cooked through.
- Melt: Melt together plant butter, cream cheese, yogurt, salt, and pepper.
- Add: Add shredded cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir: Stir in cooked macaroni and transfer mixture to an oven-safe casserole dish.
- Sprinkle: Sprinkle with paprika (or smoked paprika). Optional.
- Toast: Melt plant butter and add breadcrumbs, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. Stir until breadcrumbs begin to brown; about 3-4 minutes.
- Top: Top the vegan mac and cheese casserole with crispy breadcrumbs.
- Bake: Bake covered for 25 minutes.
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: mac and cheese, macaroni and cheese, vegan, vegan mac and cheese, baked mac and cheese, mac and cheese casserole, how to make cheese sauce for mac and cheese, how long to bake mac and cheese, fancy mac and cheese, one pot mac n cheese, southern style mac n cheese, baked mac n cheese ingredients, vegan mac and cheese recipes, how to make homemade baked mac and cheese